Sunday, July 04, 2010

Hubble pics


This is why I don't give a damn.

As long time readers of this blog will already know, I was rather profoundly affected by photos from NASA's Hubble Space Telescope.

The Hubble pictures underscored for me the unimaginable vastness of the universe, and how small and frankly irrelevant our planet and all our human schemes and plans are in the grand scope of things.

The Hubble pictures don't leave me the least bit motivated to care about the things most people think are important.

But if the engineers, opticians and other experts who built and launched the Hubble had my attitude, the thing would never have been made, and I would never have seen these pictures.

I don't know what to make of that. It doesn't change my point of view.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First there was a universe.
Then there wasn't.
Then there was.