Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Well, I voted.

But I can't remember an election where I had less enthusiasm for dragging my fat lazy ass to the polling place. I voted for George McGovern when I was 18, and I haven't missed a general or primary election yet - except for 2000, when I had moved to Texas and hadn't been there long enough to qualify.

But this year, it just seemed like a tiresome chore. This state is run by a coalition of creationists, militia enthusiasts, softcore white supremacists and billionaire pro sports hobbyists. Anything that doesn't appeal to at least one of those interest groups isn't going to go anywhere.

The Democratic nominee for U S Senate is, according to someone who knows him, a crazy old coot who lives in a trailer in Midwest City, has bad breath and lives on Chips Ahoy! cookies. Hell, I could have beaten him just relying on residual name recognition from TV days. I wouldn't win the general election, but at least I would have my footnote in Oklahoma history.

No comments: