Friday, February 11, 2011

Let No Unwholesome Word...

I'm just going to think out loud here for a moment.

Even though I have a rather flat and uneffusive personality, I'm pretty quick with one-liners and snappy retorts. For most of my life, I couldn't let an opportunity pass. Eventually, when I was in my forties, I decided I didn't need to be clever all the time. I learned to keep some of my humor to myself. I would open my mouth to toss off a line, then catch myself and think, 'You know, you don't have to say that. Just let it go this once.'

As I write this, I'm wondering what would happen if I let it go all the time.

I was listening to a dharma talk today by some zen teacher — I forget who. He briefly mentioned Buddhism's focus on 'right speech' — part of the Eightfold Path. It is not far removed from Paul's exhortation to the Ephesians to 'let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth.'

Witty or snappy lines don't necessarily qualify as 'unwholesome' words. They're certainly not as counterproductive or destructive as malicious gossip or outright lies. But if a person is known predominantly for being a wisecracker, how hard is it for him to be taken seriously at other times?

I have friends/acquaintances whose humor is as quick as mine. But I don't always find them entertaining; sometimes they seem obnoxious. For the first time ever this week, I deleted another person's comment from my Facebook page because I thought it was over the top. I think I'm always hilarious, but it may be that others find my humor just as unfunny and tiresome.

Why do I think I need to make people laugh? Why can't I just sit and talk without trying to be funny?

What would happen if I let go of trying to be funny?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you let go of everything, you'll be nothing...which is a state of being that happens soon enough as it is, without us trying to accelerate the process.

Unknown said...

you are rarely boring when you talk. it is part of who you are. I would miss it.

mcarp said...

This is really more about trying to free myself of the need for validation and attention.

I am much less needy in this regard than I was twenty or thirty years ago. Still, I would like to let go even more.