Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Solitude Day 2

Made it to Wendy's this afternoon, but it was a major effort. Some of the main thoroughfares have been plowed and sanded, but others appear to have been untouched. I'm getting tweets and Facebook messages from city employees alternately telling me to stay off the streets and exhorting me to go to the NBA game downtown tonight. I will choose to stay off the streets. I have no interest in the NBA even when the weather's nice.

I tried to plow the minivan through a three-foot deep by four- or five-foot wide snow drift in the driveway. I almost accomplished it. I eventually gave up out of fear I would sideswipe my neighbor's car. (We share a double driveway.) The van hasn't been driven in perhaps six weeks; it almost wouldn't start. I let it idle while I drove to Wendy's in the beetle so the battery would recharge.

The cold water in the garage is running, but the hot water is not. I don't understand that. The lines are basically side by side. I know the thing about hot water freezing faster than cold water, but this an on-demand system, and the water in both pipes should have been the same temperature. The heat was off in the garage, unbeknownst to me. I turned it on, and I hope I'll have fully functioning water and no breaks once it warms up a little.

Still no sign of Gastón, nor any other neighborhood cat.

No comments: