Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Freedom From Assumptions

I had the idea that if a woman offered me her phone number unbidden, it probably meant she would like me to call her. Even now, that seems logical, but obviously, it's not always the case. Look how long it took me to see that!

One of the things I've been working hard on for the past few years is not making assumptions. I'm struggling to see things as they are, and separate the thing at hand, whatever it may be, from all my opinions, prejudices, expectations, analyses and so on. To go from overthinking to directly experiencing.

People tend to want to apply this approach only to The Great Matter, whatever they might think that is, but it's practical for everyday life.

On the other hand, maybe I should have followed her out to her car and asked her, "Wanna kickit?"

No comments: