Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Another permanent link

About three years ago, I was at the IAO Not-So-Silent Night auction when I spotted a sculpture back in the alcove. It was a plumb bob (at least I *think* it was a plumb bob) hanging from a short chain, which in turn was attached to a piece of metal extending up from a chunk of concrete. The metal had been bent at a right angle so that it resembled a gallows, with the plumb bob hanging from the end.

Pieces of rebar extending from the concrete had been bent at angles all around the plumb bob.

At least that's the way I remember it. I immediately identified with it, because it was pretty much me... dangling helplessly from a chain, with a cage of rebar to keep away all the things that might cause me pain. (I was in the midst of having my heart ripped out at the time, so I was a little depressed.)

The sculpture was created by Larry Pickering, to whom I was introduced that evening by a mutual friend.

I run into Larry all the time these days, either at the Cup or Galileo, often with a sketch pad in his hand.

Added to the links menu at right is pop*modern, his relatively new blog. I didn't know until just now that he designed the sign outside Rococo.

No comments: