Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Mmmmm... it's a great feeling!

So, after the previous post, I went to bed and stared at the ceiling... thinking about that woman in the Pearl Drops Tooth Polish Ad.

As I remember her she was blonde, very Scandinavian looking, with huge, perfect teeth (naturally) and she was wearing a light-colored turtleneck. And she did this thing where she licked the front of her front teeth with her tongue to show how polished they felt.

I thought about that for maybe an hour. Turns out I'm not the only person who remembers it. Here's someone else.

Anyway, I finally fell asleep. And then I had a dream in which I'm in the back seat of a car, with my dad driving and my stepmother in the front passenger seat, and I'm trying to explain to them my obsession with Pearl Drops woman.

Then I woke up.

And what about The Rifleman? I was on my way to the Red Cup for lunch, and instead of perceiving the suchness of the 31st and Military Avenue intersection, I was thinking about The Rifleman.

First thing in the show, dude's walking down Main Street, right? And all of a sudden he just cracks off about five rounds from his rifle... his Rifleman rifle... right down the middle of the street.

Then he just keeps on walking like nothing happened!

Hey, Chuck! What was that, man? Did you just kill someone, or were you just chipmunkin' around?

And Chuck would look up at the camera and be like all, "Don't fuck with me, man. I'm the fuckin' Rifleman."



Yeah... that's what I'm talkin' about.

So, you see, as I try to perceive things as they are, free of attachments, prejudices and other distortions, I've got all this... stuff... floating around in my brain, getting in the way. Household alcoholism stuff. TV stuff. Movie stuff. Algebra class stuff. Failed relationship stuff. Ex-wife stuff. Tons of stuff. Compared to my brain, my minivan looks like an operating theater.

4 comments:

mcarp said...

Yes, but good god, man... what about The Rifleman?!

Anonymous said...

I'm still struggling back in the Old Testament with that whole Noah has a drunken orgy of incest to restart humanity thang. I'll get back to you about that woman-hating, rule making, anti-Christian Paul and how I'd like to throw all his letters to so-and-so out of The Good Book along with Revelations.
blogblah!!!

Anonymous said...

I often dream about The Rifleman shooting the "creative team" who came up with the Pearl Drops ad.

Five times EACH.

Because, you know. It would be a public service, and the DA probably wouldn't file any charges or anything.

Anonymous said...

I've got all this... stuff... floating around in my brain

Archetypes, my friend. Archetypes.

Or familiar spirits. Or Lares and Penates. There are a hundred names for them.

They're how you tell the dancer from the dance.