Saturday, October 11, 2008

I guess I can let go of this now

Wall Street has cratered and Americans are looking at their IRA and 401K statements with shock and awe. Still falling in the polls, John McCain is trying to change course from a week of 'incitement to violence' campaigning. GM and Chrysler are talking about a merger to save their asses. But one thing continues to nag at me.

It's that online test that says I think like a woman.

See also here.

If this is true, it explains a lot, but most of it isn't that relevant anymore. For example, it probably sheds some light on my relationship with my father. Although I had a fairly successful career as a reporter and a second brief career as an artist/copywriter, my dad would have preferred to see me become something more 'guy-like' — an auto mechanic or a firefighter, for example — even if it meant making less money. But dad's been dead for eight years, so that's not a relationship I can work on now.

My past relationships with women can also be seen in a new light. I see myself as a kind of holdover from the Phil Donahue/Alan Alda era, rather than a 'beer for my horses' type. Maybe I should have gotten a horse. And some beer. Women sometimes told me I was 'too nice,' and I didn't understand what they meant. Maybe this was it. But the key word in this paragraph is 'past.'

In the present, none of this has much relevance. There's only this moment, and in this moment, what difference does any of this make? I don't see how the 'original mind' can be either feminine or masculine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

men like you are a delight..mikeC... most have no clue as to what a woman is like...or how they think... this my friend puts you at the advantage... i have always said.... you are one of the few men that can join a circle of women and actually fit in rather than disrupt the dynamic we share.... relevant or not...it is part of your beauty...

mcarp said...

"you are one of the few men that can join a circle of women and actually fit in rather than disrupt the dynamic we share...."

AAAGH! That's exactly what I'm talking about!

I've gotta brush up on the NFL stats.