Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Chunky Buddhist

I saw some pictures taken Christmas Day that reinforced what I already knew: I'm huge.

My ideal weight is somewhere around 180-190 lbs. For years, my weight ranged from 220 to 240, although it sometimes was as low as 170. Since I've retired, my weight has gone up to more than 250.

This has sort of surprised me, because I'm about as physically active now as I was when I worked, but I don't eat as much junk food.

On the other hand, most of my social interaction occurs while eating. I eat a large restaurant breakfast almost every day. Some days I'll skip lunch, but I rarely miss dinner.

I don't snack much. I don't keep chips or cookies around the house.

My daily activities center around the coffee shop, eating and napping. I'm still enjoying the calm and solitude that comes from not working, and I really enjoy just being still and quiet. Not to mention asleep.

Nonetheless, I recognize the health detriment that accrues to having the illusion of Orson Welles' self instead of my own.

I don't know how to get motivated to do anything about it.

2 comments:

John X said...

Funny you should mention this.

My buddy Will is up to 270 and decided to lose 150 pounds and 15 inches off his gut in the next 15 months.

Oh---and he's stopped smoking, too.

He started a blog:

http://williamswillpower.blogspot.com/

John X said...

Amend that: I meant 370, not 270.