Friday, January 30, 2009

Lose the gut and speed up!

"Lose the gut and speed up!" was the advice I was given Thursday evening. But I don't remember what it was in relation to.

I've mentioned before I would benefit from losing weight, and perhaps I will.

This 'speed up' thing has been hanging around my neck almost all my life. I remember in second grade I was scolded for being too kinetic, and that was the last time that happened.

By third grade I needed to 'show more enthusiasm', and I was in my forties before I figured out that meant I should do pretty much the same thing I was already doing, only with more animated facial expressions and body language. And even that wasn't because it would make me more productive - it was just to increase the comfort level of those around me who had grown up in families where everyone rolled their eyes and gasped and exclaimed and enthused and thrust their heads forward and nodded emphatically and carried on about everything like you see them do at Junior League events and the Evil Empire Starbuck's.

When I was in TV, they told me I needed to 'look urgent.' That meant look as if I was saying something really really interesting and important, even if it was actually horse shit, which most of the time it was.

My idea of 'looking urgent' was the expression on the faces of guys lined up outside the rest room at a bar, but that was not the look my bosses were after.

Now we come to the thing about how slow I walk. Some people, I am told, are 'offended' by how slow I walk - people who have invested a lifetime in purposeful striding. I don't anticipate this will change, so if my slow walking offends you, perhaps you should just cover your eyes or look the other way when I'm walking. I wouldn't want to outrage your brisk, perky sensibilties.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, how can all these complaining fucktards know how PERFECT they are unless they have YOU to compare themselves with?

Formula:

1) Study Mike
2) Compare Mike with perfect self
3) Drag Mike by the neck toward perfection

I can handle Steps 1 & 2, but I try to avoid Step 3, as it is a waste of my Energy of Perfection.

Lately I've been trying a new formula, which has only 1 step:

Enjoy Mike's Mikeness.

Still more perfecter than you, I remain, yours truly---

John Motherfucking X

Anonymous said...

No kidding, do people really talk to you about all this crap?

Seems like a lot of time and effort goes into trying to make you someone you're not.

If you were someone you're not, then you wouldn't be the person you are, and who you are is who we love.

Tell these idiots to F off.

mindovermary

Anonymous said...

wow...mike...maybe you should enlighten all these people as to what the conversation was regarding... hey...i'm the fuck idiot...that said lose the gut..and speed up... but in my defense...mike asked a question... and it is also what he complains about... constantly... his weight and inability...to have any energy... this is a daily conversation...with him...it was said in jest...not intended to provoke such intense emotion...among his readers...it is not my place to say what this conversation was about... however... it seems an important topic for...my dear friend mikeC

mcarp said...

Well, you're not alone, KO. You're only the most recent in a long line of teachers, executive producers and friends who've recommended I change my personality in one way or another.

Anonymous said...

:::friends who've recommended I change my personality:::

Your what?

(grin)

Anonymous said...

you know what i think mikeC... you are actually enjoying this... bottom line is mike...if you don't want an answer don't ask the question... you make it sound like your some innocent victim that people just throw nasty shit at and this is far from the truth.... you have complained daily about your weight... and your slow pace...and you inability to attract the woman of your dreams... perhaps all for attention...and sympathy... who knows...even yesterday... personally i could care less if you eat your weight in food every day and walk at a snails pace... so stop complaining if you're not gonna change...!!!!