Friday, January 02, 2009

It doesn't matter

It doesn't matter by whom I am infatuated.

Infatuation actually involves only one person: the one who is infatuated. The object of infatuation is just a bystander. It may be that the object of the infatuation encourages the infatuation for one reason or another, and it may be that two people are infatuated simultaneously with each other, but infatuation is always a process that occurs in just one person's brain.

In Buddhism they teach about the illusion of self. It's a complex and elaborate illusion - and processes such as infatuation, attachment and aversion help reinforce it.

Infatuation is all about me. In fact, you could say I'm actually infatuated with myself, because what I'm reacting to isn't really some other person, but the chemical process going on in my own brain.

It takes two to tango, but I can make an ass of myself all on my own.

1 comment:

Lark said...

"The object of infatuation is just a bystander."

I need to do a cross-stitch of that, hang in over my desk. Very useful thought.

(Though I don't think infatuations are all bad; I just wish they wouldn't last so long!)