Friday, January 02, 2009

Groan - infatuation again

I will mention - without going into a lot of potentially embarrassing detail - that I find myself infatuated again.

Years ago, infatuations led me to think I had found The One. Later, with time and experience, I came to see the objects of my infatuations as women I might enjoy time with on some temporary and limited basis.

Now, as someone transitioning from middle age to senior citizen status, I think of infatuation as being like a cold - if I just hunker down and get plenty of rest, it will clear up on its own. In that respect, I view being infatuated as a lot like being depressed. The two states have a lot in common, and in fact I wonder if they are not linked in my case.

The Buddhist scholar Robert Thurman wrote in one of his books that if we're not enlightened, we should at least act like we are. I'm not sure what is involved in 'acting enlightened,' but I believe these sort of silly attractions are one of the things that get in the way of it for me.

I've forgotten most of the Bible, but I remember the apostle Paul writing something about putting away the things of a child when he became a man. That's sort of how I see infatuation - it's the province of a young man, and something which I should have moved beyond by now.

And as I've posted before, the word infatuation literally means "being made foolish."

I can see past infatuation now - I just can't get there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

who is it mikeC... you rascal... ha!!!