Sunday, July 20, 2008

The halfway point

We are at the halfway point, I think, on the backyard makeover. The patio is essentially done, with some additional shoring up of a few stones needed. The landscaper laid out each of these rocks individually with a level, and added sand where needed to keep them from wobbling or shifting. But since I weigh probably 70 percent more than her, some of the stones that seemed solid to her move when I walk on them.

We bought a minivan-load of flowers and shrubs Saturday which will be planted over the next few days.

Still ahead: construction of the extended deck and repairs/improvements to the fence.

I bought an outdoor fireplace which, as it turns out, looks totally out of place. I'm probably going to give it away to someone who will take it and buy a smaller firebowl or chiminea instead.

It's been kind of fun having people around the house, or at least the back yard, but I'm ready for things to return to normal.

Several friends have suggested I have some sort of 'yard warming' party, but it's not likely to happen. The house is still a pig sty (although not so much a flea haven — that's one battle I'm winning), and I really envisioned my back yard as a private retreat for reading and meditation.

No comments: