Friday, March 27, 2009

Link spamming

About three times a week, I have to delete three or four 'link spams' from the blog. These are comments, usually unrelated to the post to which they're attached, that include a link to some quasi-reputable web site. Seeding blogs with these links help boost a site's Google ranking. I assume some so-called 'search engine optimization' company pays people some paltry sum to spend hours a day dropping these linked comments all over blogs.

This has been going on pretty regularly for about six weeks now. I don't want to begin moderating comments, but I may have to, at least temporarily.

3 comments:

Zach said...

This has been happening to me also. A few months ago a bot hit every one of my post, commenting multiple times. Took hours to clean it up and it was a pain.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I hate when that happens.

www.possibilityx.com

Unknown said...

Excellent post! Thought provoking. For more thought provoking ideas, see

www.johnrlong.com

and ask for Blogblah!!! to get another 10% off.