Monday, November 26, 2007

Commitment phobia, part 2

I'll agree I'm relationship-phobic. I'm not sure it's costing me happiness.

Lately, I've been thinking that happiness is not something that should be pursued (no matter what the Declaration of Independence says), but something that should be enjoyed when it happens to come 'round.

Most of my peace has come not from pursuing happiness, but from avoiding, where possible, things that make me unhappy.

Unavoidable things come in life which bring both happiness and unhappiness, and we have to make our peace with both. We can't hide from every setback or misfortune. But I'm not going to stick my hand in boiling water or walk out into rush hour traffic to prove my detachment from pain or discomfort.

And I try not to become 'addicted' to experiences that bring happiness and comfort, although that happens on a small scale almost daily.

No comments: