Saturday, November 24, 2007

Just say "no" to Black Friday

Well, it's too late now, of course, but next year for sure... right?

From SFGate.com:

"It's disgusting when you see people line up in stores drooling to just buy stuff," said Buehlman, 38, who e-mailed about 100 friends and family this year urging them to abstain from buying anything today. "People have such a hard time going inside themselves to fix things, they try to buy stuff to fix things on the outside."


More here.

I ate lunch at a restaurant with television on Friday and caught a little bit of one cable news network's Black Friday coverage.

While this one of the busiest shopping days of the year, it is also one of the slowest days for real news, which means news operations struggling to fill time between paid commercials are tempted to run what amount to free commercials about the Christmas shopping rush.

One reporter I saw was doing a live report from the aisles of what looked like a Wal-Mart or Target store. The sound was off, so I could only guess at what he was saying. But judging from the graphics full-screened during the report, it was another of those 'What's Hot' lists.

When I was a reporter, I always thought those stories were basically bogus. Some marketing company sends out press releases announcing that a client's product is 'hot,' content-starved news outlets report it as fact, and the reportage makes the press release reality. How many times have you seen one of those 'What's Hot' lists, and you've never even heard of half the stuff on it?

I'm doing my Christmas shopping (what there is of it) online this year.

9 comments:

RJ said...

Tiffany.com for me please! I love diamonds and gold!!!!!!!

mcarp said...

I think most everyone is getting Alan Watts this year.

Anonymous said...

My Zen Christmas shopping system:

1) If nude, put on underwear. Or don't. WTF.

2) Crack a beer or pour glass of wine or fire one up, or all three.

3) Activate holy laptop.

4) Go to Amazon.com

5) Buy books, DVDs, CDs, or whatever for whomever. Have the shit sent to the recipients' homes.

6) Drink beer / wine, smoke like a chimney during the process.

7) Finish up.

Total time: maybe 30 minutes
Sales tax paid: none
Crowds avoided: all of them
Parking hassles avoided: all of them
Murders prevented: incalculable
Sanity retained: what's left of mine

You see? It is simple, Grasshoppers.

As Master Po said: "When you can snatch the hassle out of Christmas shopping, YOU WILL HAVE LEARNED."

Until next year, I remain yours in laziness and ease of movement----

John Motherfucking X

RJ said...

Does he do dishes??

mcarp said...

He teaches you to have no concept of doing dishes or not doing dishes.

mcarp said...

Alan Watts, that is.

I think JohnX just eats off paper plates.

Anonymous said...

:::I think JohnX just eats off paper plates.:::

I use mind control to levitate the food from the pan into my mouth.

No dishes, no utensils.

It is my Way.

RJ said...

but who does his dishes???
If I am going to get him for Christmas, he had better be able to do dishes.

Leviatation.....hmmm, maybe Alan could levitate the dishes??

I am so confused.

wild walla walla wine woman said...

I said "no" to Black Friday. Egad, who wants to wait outside early in the morning to buy an inflatible Jesus? Not me.