Saturday, February 09, 2008

It stinks of Zen

I haven't written much about Buddhism or Taoism lately, and that's by intent. There were times when my posts stunk of Zen, or at least of what I perceive Zen to be. My beliefs should apply to and enhance my daily life – otherwise, they're just a hobby, and I could write about them the way I might write about stamp collecting or model railroading.

It occurs to me that if my beliefs are really applied to my daily life, then I should be writing about my daily life in that context, rather than just talking about my beliefs as an end to themselves.

Years ago, I became fascinated by personal computers. I swapped out video cards, replaced memory, added hard drives and built one PC from scratch. I spent more time fiddling with the computers than using them. At one point, I had five Linux and Windows PC networked in my house, plus a few webcams.

But ss time went by, I became less interested in the mechanics of the computers and more interested in using them get other things done.

That's where I am, I think, with Buddhism and Taoism.

How complete and correct are my beliefs? I don't know. And I realize part of the reason I've avoided any organized activity here is that I'm afraid to find out. What I feel inside, in terms of calm and serenity and contentment, is working very well for me. I don't want to find out I'm 'doing it wrong,' and then be saddled with some new 'correct' practice that makes me neurotic and stressed out.

I can write now about my every day life, but of course there's not much to say. My daily life continues to be excruciatingly dull by most people's standards, although fine by me. I could probably create some sort of macro that writes "I went to the Red Cup this morning, then went for a walk" every day and then just let it run by itself.

So I don't know what I'll write about now. We'll just have to see where the blog takes itself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like my everyday life is boring too so it surprises me when people appear to be interested. I think it is that human connection, that we all have mundane lives compared to others, that we like to read about.

Your life, no matter how uninteresting you think it sounds, is interesting to me. I picture you at the Red Cup with your friends, taking a walk on the familiar streets, etc.

I like it. It connects me to you.

Mindovermary

mcarp said...

Well, that's what I'm doing. :)

Anonymous said...

"But ss time went by, I became less interested in the mechanics of the computers and more interested in using them get other things done."

I know exactly what you mean! I used to spend days just fiddling with Linux, but now I'm running a really plain FVWM desktop and concentrating on the apps that actually help me get stuff done.

I also used to spend a lot of money on Buddhist books. I read a lot of theory, sutras, commentaries etc.

After a while it all just turned me away from the Dharma. Now I face the wall. That's all. It seems to be working ;-)

Peace.