Wednesday, September 27, 2006

This is just so me

From the University of Pennsylvania Surgery web site

(emphasis mine)

Chronic Cholecystitis (Billary Colic)

The majority of patients with symptoms from their gallstones will suffer from chronic cholecystitis. The attacks are caused by a stone becoming stuck either in the junction of the gallbladder and the bile duct or in the duct itself. The muscle in the wall of both gallbladder and duct contracts in an effort to move the stone and this produces intense pain usually felt under the ribs on the right-hand side of the abdomen. However, the pain may also be felt under the V of the ribs or may extend right across the abdomen and spread around to the back, below the right shoulder blade.

The patient may vomit and is usually restless.
After several hours, the stone either falls back into the gallbladder or, by virtue of the muscle contractions, is passed down the bile duct and into the intestine. Some patients suffer from a constant dull ache in the upper abdomen and many complain of discomfort and flatulence after eating a fatty meal.


Billie Jo, Bobbie Jo, Betty Jo, I think I got me one o' them gall stones afflictin' me. I gotta get Sam Drucker to send me sumthin' down from the general store. Meanwhile, if I commence t' fartin' 'round the hotel, y'all will know why.

No comments: