Friday, October 14, 2011

108 Days of Gratitude - Day 5

Today I am grateful for talent.

I know a lot of people who are more gifted artists than I am. But my talent has been sufficient for me to live on twice.

I had two jobs, spaced 27 years apart, that were dependent upon my design and graphics skills. During those 27 years, literally everything changed in the design, layout and prepress world. There was not one gadget in my 1970's toolbox full of rubber cement, burnishers, X-acto knives and Rapidograph pens that was of any use to me in the Photoshop/Illustrator world of 2001.

Fortunately, I had kept my skills mostly up-to-date. It still took me a couple of months to get up to speed, but the basics – composition, design, typography, etc. – had not changed much.

I was able to create that '108 Days of Gratitude' graphic in about 20 minutes. (And if I'd let it sit overnight, and come back to it the next day with fresh eyes, there are things I would have changed.) I tend to take it for granted that anybody can do this, and I forget that most people can't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not a coincidence that NY Times announced the conviction and sentencing of 10 Wallstreet Criminals. One got 150 years. I know it's the tip of the iceburg but it's a start. I thank the protesters for that little bit of justice.