Sunday, October 02, 2011

Oh, let's talk about this some more

Upon reading my previous post, mindovermary wrote:

I was reading MCARP'S blog today and as usual, he is talking about how unattractive and uninteresting he is. I don't happen to agree with him. I will say that with his hair long and his beard scraggly, he is not as good looking as he was with short hair and groomed beard. I think he is rather handsome when he grooms.

It doesn't matter what I think when he thinks differently. Whether someone is attractive or not is directly linked to how that person feels about themselves. I, and the women I know, are attracted to men who are secure and confident in
who they are.

First, on a practical note, response to my long hair has been mixed. Some people think it looks better long, and others prefer it short. I grew my hair very long between 1998 and 2000. I kept it in a ponytail while I was living in Texas, and I will say it seemed very popular with women there.

I cut it first to go on a job interview. Later, I cut it even shorter simply for the sake of convenience. For most of the past decade, I have worn it 3/32 of an inch long, and cut it myself with a Panasonic shower-friendly electric shaver. At right is a picture of how it looked this morning. Someone told me I'm starting to look like the Dude, and another said I resemble Meher Baba, either of which I'll be happy to take as a compliment.

On to this thing of self-confidence. I think I am secure and confident in who I am. If I wasn't, I would be spending a lot more time and effort managing my 'brand' or my image, and I simply don't.

I'm confident enough, in fact, that I've been called 'arrogant' more than once. My experience has been that women find arrogance attractive in certain men, but I'm not one of them.

The person I see in the mirror every morning while I'm brushing my teeth seems to me to be a lot better-looking than women generally seem to find me. As I've said before, I've had trouble figuring out where this face fits on the scale between Matt Damon and the guy who played Newman the letter carrier on Seinfeld. I seem to rate it more highly than the general population does.

Why in God's name do I keep posting about this? I guess because I don't have anything else to talk about, but I want to keep the blog going.

4 comments:

Minovermary said...

I can't stand arrogance, in fact I hate it and won't give it the time of day. There is a big difference in arrogance and confidence.

I think you are perfect just the way you are and that is why I don't understand why you put yourself down concerning the women in your life. You don't know what they think, so everything you think they think is an assumption based on how you think you look.

Some women like hairy homeless-looking men, I am not one of them. I like well-groomed men with short hair. That's just me.

As far as your personality goes, I love it, love it, love it.
Mindovermary

Anonymous said...

I think you should embrace your inner Dude, because The Dude abides.

And as you know, there's a religion based on the Way Of The Dude called Dudeism.

Don't cut your hair before I get a chance to see it in person, so that I might give a thumbs-up or -down.

---John X

mcarp said...

John, I don't plan on cutting my hair again, ever. It will only grow another three inches or so before it reaches its maximum length. I'll just wear it in a pony tail after that.

Mary, I am grateful you love my personality, but when you say things like that, it just undermines my entire argument about what a repulsive SOB I am.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. I'll support your budding SOB campaign. I'll hand out buttons.