Sunday, October 09, 2011

A One-Year Moratorium

This blog begins its seventh year next month – or is sixth? I'm never clear on these anniversary things.

When I began it, I didn't have a clear idea of what it would be about, except that it would be very personal and mostly about my daily life. I wasn't writing it with the intention that it become popular. but only that it give me an outlet for my own thoughts. I have kept very few secrets from this blog. It's almost like a personal journal available to everyone who finds it.

As it turned out, the blog's central topics pretty much found themselves, and I'm not entirely happy with them. The Taoism and Buddhist material is OK, but all the 'Diary of an Unloved Guy' stuff strikes even its author as tedious and self-pitying.

I once forced myself to take a one-year hiatus from writing about my non-love life. I came up a couple of weeks short, but I essentially reached my goal. I'm going to do it again. If you look at the entire six-year run of this blog, you'll see that nothing has changed in that regard.

In fact, if you could read the barrage of posts on this subject I wrote on The Well before this blog began, you'd see that the general stasis in my love life has been constant, with a few interruptions, since 1998.

I feel reasonably confident that when I resume my mawkish loneliness postings in October, 2012, nothing will have changed.

But trust me, during those twelve months, I'll still be feeling as sorry for myself as I always do.

I'll wrap up with a quote that came in e-mail the other day. The sender seemed quite angry with me at the time, so perhaps her tone was affected by that. Here's what she wrote:

"You think that women's initial repulsion of you is about your clothes and lack of hair combing. Trust me...it's about how you hate them and don't even know it."

If you want to comment on that quote, feel free. But I will let it stand as is, and will have nothing further to say about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are taking a moratorium from just one topic and not the entire blog!

And while the events as you perceive them may not have changed, the way you respond to them is so different from where you started that I am always impressed. I guess you want the events to be different and I'm sorry they are not but don't sell yourself short. You have come along way.

Lark

Anonymous said...

I so hate when certain women pull the misogyny card when it isn't women we dislike or discount, it's their particular insufferable behavior we want to get away from. While it may be true that Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, it is those people of both genders who refuse to be reflective about their own behavior who seem most ready to fling dung when confronted with criticism or rejection. The quote you provided is ample evidence that some will always point out the dust in another's eye before noticing a 2X4 in their own.