Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Heat Is Still Off

I've had the heat on in the house only two days this fall and winter and then I did it mostly for the dog and cat. It's cold in here right now, and I'm in the coldest room in the house, but I'm under two acrylic fleece blankets and I'm quite comfortable.

When we had the big ice storm in 2002, I lived here for 11 days with no electricity, no heat and overnight lows in the teens and twenties. I slept under a couple of blankets and I was fine.

It seems foolish to try to heat the whole house with gas when all I need to heat is the actual space I occupy, and I can do that by just retaining my own body heat. I've got a furnace that runs at 98.6 degrees 24 hours a day. It's not very efficient, but it's free.

It's 30 outside right now and the wind chill is 18. All my critters are inside safe and warm, but I worry about all the other strays who have no place to stay warm.

No comments: