Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Melancholy music

I am prone to being depressed by certain pieces of music. This is different from the depression I usually experience. In fact, it may be wrong to call it depression. It comes very quickly, is often much more severe, but lifts quickly — usually in an hour or two.

I recently bought an album by a popular singer of mantras. One of the songs induces this sudden melancholy I'm talking about. That song came up in the iTunes rotation this afternoon, and it hit me this time like a freight train. The lyrics are in Sanskrit or Pali; I have no idea what they mean. It is the melody alone that evokes the reaction. I could have slashed my wrists right then and there, and that's only a mild exaggeration.

I decided to go for a walk to shake off the feeling. It was cloudy, chilly and windy. The walk didn't help much.

Later, I called a friend who sat with me for ninety minutes or so until I recovered.

I have taken the song off my iTunes playlist. I won't listen to it again.

1 comment:

Brutal Antipathy and his property L said...

That's the beauty and nightmare about music; you just never know what emotions it will evoke in you until you listen to it.

-L