Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Las Cruces, NM

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with a half-formed, and occasionally half-assed, idea. A couple of nights ago I decided that I could throw a few things in a bag and go to Las Cruces, NM to study Zen with a priest I've read about there. I would stay perhaps three or four months. I'd rent an efficiency apartment, sleep on the floor (which I did as a matter of practice for about ten years) and spend my days learning from this priest.

After all, I've got the time. There's no place else I need to be.

But, on the other hand, I'm not all that into Zen as an 'official' daily practice. I appreciate the concepts, but I don't care much for the process. Days of sitting, staring at the wall, don't appeal to me. (As I think about it, I don't care much for any process. Process bores the shit out of me.)

I asked some Facebook friends if they'd ever been to Las Cruces. It turned out several of them had. Opinions of the place were mixed. One said it was more 'authentic' than Santa Fe, but another — a Santa Fe resident — thought I would enjoy Santa Fe more. Of course, I wasn't looking for a tourist or recreation experience; I was hoping to get a better idea of what it's like to belong to a Zen community and have a flesh-and-blood Zen teacher.

Now that I've had a couple of days to think about it, I am probably not going to go to Las Cruces. I won't be cutting off my arm, like Bodhidharma's student Hui-Ko, to get the attention of a teacher.

But maybe I will go to Santa Fe. I have never met my Facebook friend, Joan, who lives there, and I would like to.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Santa Fe is ugly, boring and has a bad attitude. I have never felt so lonely. Taos can be worse. All of Northern New Mexico is unbelievably beautiful (with the exception of most of Santa Fe) but the people are incredibly rude. I mean RUDE. If you are brown...maybe they'll give you the time of day. If you are not, forget it. I have a brown friend who doesn't even feel welcome there.

Anonymous said...

Bisbee, Arizona puts Santa Fe, New Mexico to shame - in all catagories: beauty, funk appeal, people, weather, economics, etc. Seriously.

sweeney said...

I think a trip - some fresh scenery, new views - would be good for you. I don't have any opinion on where, except Las Cruces (or Bisbee) will be warmer than Santa Fe or OKC.

Anonymous said...

Go to the mountains east of town.

Park the car and walk around in the wilderness.

Local historians can tell you the story about the European monk who lived in a cave in those mountains.

The Indians eventually killed him, but still.

Anonymous said...

Wherever you go, there you are. If the problem is inside you, changing the outside of you won't change the inside of you.
If you want to go somewhere to enjoy the somewhere, go. If you want to go somewhere for an ulterior purpose, forget it.

Anonymous said...

Wherever you go there you are is....trite at best. It is empirically proven that beauty helps with all kinds of issues, notably stress and depression. OKC has literally been voted the ugliest town in America more times than I can count. I continue to be amazed at how much my life has changed since I moved from Oklahoma. Being greeted by mountains every morning and not Broadway Extension is my saving grace. If I could write, I would title my book "Wherever You Go It Will Surely Be Better If It Is Not So Butt Ugly." Even if you just take a break and don't move I highly recommend a reprieve from bad weather, fundamental attitudes and OU football.

mcarp said...

Remember that my goal in Las Cruces, were I to go, would be to strengthen my spiritual grounding. I'm not that interested in the amenities. In fact, a lack of amenities might be useful, as it would reduce distractions.

Anonymous said...

(Natural)Beauty is not an amenity.

Further, getting away from Boomer Sooner mentality would be beneficial no matter where you go.

I am interested in what you decide to do.

Anonymous said...

I think you might like Taos more than Santa Fe. It's not as developed or corporate and a lot more laid back.

Lark