Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sleep

Due to the untimely collapse of my bed (as described in a previous post), I am now back to sleeping on my old futon. This was in the living room or dining room for about eight years, and for four or five years, I slept on it regularly, because my 'real' bed was always covered in laundry and other detritus. (There was also a time it was literally covered wih cat shit, but that's a story for another time.)

During Ms. HRP's abortive remodel of the house, we cleared out the junk-filled back room, and I moved the futon back there. I actually considered ridding myself of it entirely, and now I'm glad I didn't.

While I'm waiting for a new bed frame to arrive, I've been sleeping on the futon here in the back bedroom. There is no stereo back here, and no 24/7 music of Tibetan bowls, sitar music, Japanese flute, etc. I also never allow the pets in here, so there's no cat or dog hair, and no covertly dropped turds behind the furniture.

I notice I am sleeping better. I have had a couple of actually pleasant dreams, as opposed to my usual overnight fare of tornados bearing down on me or TV newsrooms exploding in my face. I am guessing that the quiet, animal-free environment is helping with this.

In addition, I've been drinking two or more cups of rooibos tea in the evening before I retire, and I think that's helping as well.

No comments: