Friday, December 17, 2010

Relationshiponal Phenomena

I had this germ of an idea for a post earlier in the week about relationship concepts. I decided against writing it, mainly because I've already said far more than I needed to say on the subject. Then, out of the clear blue, a friend brought up the very thing I decided not to write about.

I was talking about the whole willowy and ethereal thing, and she said, "Well, if you had a relationship with someone like you describe, what would it be like?"

"I guess I would stretch out on the wicker sofa on the porch, and she would just kind of float around me," I replied. "She'd be wearing long, floaty, gauzy stuff — you know, like Stevie Nicks used to wear — and the wind would be gently blowing her hair, like a shampoo commercial. And she'd be chanting mantras or something. 'Om mani padme hum,' or something like that."

"And then what?" my friend asked, laughing.

"I don't know," I said. "I haven't thought through all the details."

I understand that in real life, relationships don't work like that. In real life, you argue about money and whose turn it is to take out the trash. And some people want that, or they've been convinced by peer pressure that they're supposed to want it.

I still think about relationship stuff occasionally, but not as often as I used to. Not nearly as often. I can take out my own trash.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're conjuring an apparition. A ghost.

Anonymous said...

I still laugh everytime you bring up Stevie Nicks. I have told this story before. When I was a flight attendant, Ms. Nicks was a passenger on a flight of mine. When she walked on the plane I wasn't sure it was her because she was so bloated and blotchy. She was wearing her floaty clothing and it looked very very scary. Her lesbain traveling companion (we confirmed this on the flight) was so self-important I had to shut her down reminding her that all passengers where equal on Delta Airlines. Stevie went on to draw witches on napkins for everyone in First Class but not before she informed me that A LOT of children had been named Rhiannan because of her. She was one of the most self-absorbed humans I have ever met. And most bloated.

mcarp said...

But she was still floaty, right?