Sunday, December 12, 2010

No passion, no story

A friend asked me this evening what my passion was as a child. I told her. (I'm not going to detail it here. It's not weird or especially unusual. I don't want to go off on that tangent, though.)

"Well," she asked, "what is your passion now?"

"I don't have one," I said.

She smiled. "You have to have a passion." She said it as if I were breaking some sort of rule by not having one.

"No, no passion."

"If you don't have a passion, what will be your story from this point on?"

"No story. No passion, no story."

I have learned not to talk much about my empty, passionless life. It tends to upset people.

In fact, I wonder why I keep getting asked about it. My impression is that most people rarely discuss this, if at all.

But: no passion, no story. Unless you count this blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

PASSION is overrated at best. I enjoy riding my bike. I like eating. It is fun to look forward to reading a good book. I hope I am never passionate about anything again.

Anonymous said...

So, you're passionate about being passionless, then?

Anonymous said...

Well, I like to wear womens clothing, and for that, a sense of fashion is kind of important because you don't want to look all "last year" when you strut your stuff on the sidewalk...

..oh, wait. You said "passion" but I read "fashion."

Never mind.