Thursday, March 02, 2006

AWOL

Twice this week, She Who Does Not Sleep has escaped for two hours or more. She's missing as I write this.

The weather has been nice enough that I've just left the back door open, hoping that being able to come and go as she pleased would calm her down, and it worked some. I didn't worry about intruders because I figured she would scare them off.

But although I thought I had the fence secured, both times she found a new way through.

And both times I discovered her absence by waking up and noticing how strangely quiet the house was. No pacing back and forth, no grumbling or slurping or growling or snarfing or belching or farting.

The first time it happened, I woke feeling good for the first time in weeks, because I had actually slept for a couple of hours instead of dozing through the series of 15-minute cat naps for which I've had to settle -- ever since she started having these nervous fits caused by my every cough, or a dog barking down the block, or a cat stretching in the living room.

Last night, I bought her a dog house at PetsMart, planning to assemble it this weekend and start letting her stay outside more often.

She will probably come back today after the sun's up.

I desperately want some decent sleep.

7:16 am update. She's just come back home.

No comments: