Monday, March 13, 2006

Ghosts

With Haley sleeping in the bathroom (and growing more acclimated to it with each passing day), I getting more sleep at night. Nonetheless, I still find myself awakening in the wee hours, mind rambling along too fast for me to quickly get back to sleep.

Three times in the past few days, I have had dreams about people from my past. The first was a dream in which I walked through a house and found my ex-wife sitting on a sofa in the living room, crying. She looked as she does today, not as she looked eight years ago when we were still together. I knelt beside her and asked what was wrong, but I woke up before she could answer.

(Parenthetically, I'll mention that my ex is a wonderful person. She deserved better than she got from me and better than she got from life in general.)

When I fell asleep again, I dreamt I was walking through a different house. All the doors to the rooms were closed, and each had "2003" written on them... in Futura Extra Bold. I understood that in the dream to refer to the year, noit that they room numbers. I could hear voices coming from one of the rooms, and they were talking about my friend Bob who died over the New Years holiday. I went from door to door looking for them. Some doors were locked and some opened into empty rooms, devoid even of furniture. I woke up before I could find the people who were speaking.

Just now I had a dream about some of my current coworkers, and someone with whom I went to college and later with whom I later worked suddenly entered. I haven't seen that guy in probably 15 years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Start worrying when the numbers are in Caslon OldStyle. :>