Monday, March 06, 2006

First necktie since September '98

I had forgotten.

I wore a necktie to work today for the first time since September '98. It was an old regimental stripe rep tie, Kenneth Gordon make, and it had been in my closet since probably '91 or '92 and maybe earlier. Fortunately, it was conservative enough to be no more dorky than it was 15 years ago.

I knew intellectually I had grown unfond of neckties.

But I had forgotten how viscerally I had come to despise them.

At 6'0" and a 17" neck, I have a hard time finding ties that fit, anyway. The short end is always 'way too short, and at my current weight, the tie accentuates my stomach, especially in profile.

I'm always fiddling with the knot, the way I fiddle with my handlebar moustache when I have one.

I hate neckties.

No comments: