Wednesday, March 22, 2006

One man's tragic burden: facing a root canal alone

I'm okay most of the time with being alone, as I've said before. But when you're lying there in bed, popping painkillers and trying to sleep, it crosses your mind that it would be nice if there were someone else in your life who cared about you when you were sick.

The Tao is about, in part, the balance of contrasting forces –– including masculine and feminine. Obviously I don't get a good balance cooped in my one-man monastery all the time.

Well, Bodhidharma (not a Taoist, of course) sat at the wall for nine years and I'm sure he got sick once in awhile, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mikey, I am sorry you are going through this.
~C

Anonymous said...

I can be something of an introvert, yet I'm glad that I've been married to my wife for these last 20 years. While I greatly value my independence and I am NOT the kind of person who asks for help often, you are certainly correct when you state it's nice having someone around who cares for you, particularly when you feel under the weather.