Monday, January 28, 2008

Fun

I don't have it.

I don't mean that I'm angry or bitter or that I have a moral or religious objection to having fun – I just don't have fun myself, generally speaking, and I don't much miss it.

Blogblah! speculates that he had more fun at the recent party than I did, and I don't doubt that he did. Because I didn't have any 'fun' per se at all.

This doesn't mean that I was unhappy or found the party – other than the size of the crowd – an unpleasant experience. I just didn't have fun, because I don't have fun.

The things that most people find to be fun usually don't amuse me. I can sit through a movie, but it's been a long time since I got caught up in one. About ten years ago, I went on my first and only roller coaster ride. It was like a short, fast drive on a Logan County back road. It was not fun for me, and I don't understand why it would be fun for anyone.

So anyway, I don't have much fun, and I'm okay with that. As always, I prefer peace and calm to excitement and emotionalism.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post makes me and Ho-tei laugh. You don't have fun? FUN?

Get in touch with your inner little boy, MCARP!

Go outside and play in the dirt and call it gardening if you feel like you need some cover.

Laughter is the best medicine there is, don't you know that?

You have all those cats and you can't amuse yourself? Tish and tosh!

Seems to me that all the major religious thinkers tell us to become child-like. I know I see the humor and fun in all the zen stories I know. Flow like water, little Taoist.

I don't mind a bit that you're an Eeore. It's part of your charm. No need to try and turn yourself into Tigger, btw.

I've actually seen you laugh, so I know you have that very human quality.

Let it go, big guy, just let it go.

blogblah

mcarp said...

I remember dating someone about ten years ago who, on about our third date, exclaimed, "I like to have fun!!!" I sort of cringed when she said that. It had a sort of imperative tone to it, as if she were actually saying, "I have to have fun!"

I can and do amuse myself with the cats, but I don't think of that as fun.

I guess it is fun, in a low-key way.

As I said, I'm not opposed to people having fun. But most of the activities people describe as fun leave me bored or even kind of uncomfortable.

Water doesn't have fun as it flows, or even think about having fun or not having fun. It just flows, harboring no desires or aversions.

I often mentally fast-forward to the impending downside of fun , whether it be a hangover or emotional distress or money problems or whatever (cleaning the litter box, for example, plus tracking down occasional 'surprises' behind the furniture). Some people – most of us, I guess – go through those downsides and bounce back.

Since I'm prone to depression and don't bounce back as resiliently as others, I tend to avoid those situations in the first place, and perhaps I unfairly expect others to do the same.

Nina said...

FUN is Cedar Point, Ohio, baby!

That's where the best roller coasters in the world are!



ytgrybt

Anonymous said...

I've found that there is a fine line between contentment and depression. Sometimes my depression and lack of interest in things that used to amuse me can look like I'm simply practicing contentment and not grasping at external amusements. The test I use to see if it is depression or contentment is my ability to laugh at the antics of my four-legged friends. If I can hang out all day at home with them and still be amused, I'm pretty happy.