Sunday, January 20, 2008

I left the bookstore empty-handed

When I was a child, and later an adolescent, I read a lot of stuff that I would later lose interest in. I read magazines about how to build highly-detailed model cars. I read Famous Monsters of Filmland. I read Archie Comics. I read MAD, Cracked and even Sick. But as I got older, I lost interest in those things.

I was in the bookstore this evening browsing the magazine rack. I couldn't find a thing that interested me. Even the Buddhist magazines didn't interest me. I felt the same way I felt 40 years ago when I saw a new copy of MAD and realized I no longer cared about Spy vs. Spy or the back page fold-in.

They say one of the signs of depression is when you lose interest in the things that once held your attention. I would say that if the same things hold your interest forever, there's something else wrong. I don't know any adults who still read first-grade "Dick and Jane" books. Everyone grows and changes.

No comments: