Monday, January 07, 2008

Retreat

I knew the effects of whatever had me pepped up had worn off, but wow, I'm feeling overwhelmed. This isn't anything in my life, actually – just overload from people around me.

The isolated life seems very attractive again.

I don't know anyone whose views on non-attachment and direct experience are parallel to my own. I'm kind of on my own. I know people who are into various kinds of meditation, but no one who is into my particular notion of peeling away perceptions, concepts and filters to get to the truth.

Obviously there are other people who've visited this, because I've gotten almost all of it from books and other outside sources. I just don't know where anybody into it around here.

I've been reading a Taoist text called "Cultivating Stillness." One of the things it encourages people to do is 'every day lie down, look up at the sky and watch the clouds go by.' If you haven't done that since childhood, you should try it – on a partly cloudy day, lie on the ground so you can see no surrounding buildings, telephone poles, or other manmade things. Just look up at the sky as if it were a flat surface and watch it go by.

I don't know if I want a teacher, but sometimes I think I'd like to have a sort of coach – not someone to tell me things, but someone to encourage me to live life the right way. Someone who would remind me to lie on the ground and watch the clouds go by.

Not to turn this into another relationship rant, but that's my idea of a great date, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For what it is worth, from my viewpoint everything you say is accurate. HOWEVER! You appear to love your peers that you say you have nothing in common with and they most definitely love you. No big deal then, right?

About a year ago you gave me a book that changed my life. It sent me on such a wonderful journey. I have not thanked you enough. Life changing events happen so very rarely there is really no way to thank you. If you had not been w-i-l-l-i-n-g to "get out among the crazy people" I would have never benefitted and I really needed what you gave me that day a year ago. (To my further amazement it was a BOOK that forever changed my life. How many times does a book have that result? Usually it is something much more profound, at least for me. I am incerdibly grateful for your generosity.)

So, the pendulum swings back and forth and with that sometimes it is balanced and sometimes it is not. Right now you may be swinging high on one side but you know sooner or later it will come back down to center.

Enjoy the solitude. The New Year is a good time to indulge.

Anonymous said...

Watching the clouds and other amazing natural wonders is what my porch is all about.

Why do you think I spend all my time there? It's much better than dealing with people. On my porch with my kitties, I find a little piece of paradise.

Ask Big Bro about it.

Nina said...

What if you asked out a woman, then took her to the park to lie in the grass and watch the clouds go by?

I bet you'd find out in a hurry if she'd be relationship material.

If we could all just skip all the crap of impressions and the exhausting, mostly noisy socializing of chatter and be able to sit in silence together without the need to squirm, well, I think that would be a nice start.



uzika