Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Nothing to say

I will give myself credit for at least one smidgen of increased wisdom. I have less to say than I used to.

I started to write a post commenting on something I'd read on another blog. Then I thought about it some more and asked myself, "What will be accomplished by this?" The only answer I could come up with was "nothing," so I let it pass.

I almost joined an online discussion today about an upcoming local election on an issue about which I am highly skeptical (imagine that). I thought more about it, and decided I wouldn't change any minds by posting anything, and I moved on.

(I will say this in passing: If, back in 1980 or thereabouts, Clay Bennett had decided he wanted to own the world's largest model railroad, we would have been subjected to twenty-eight years of editorials from the Oklahoman and press releases from the Chamber of Commerce extolling the value of hosting the world's largest model railroad, how we would be catapulted into the forefront of the handful of elite cities hosting large model railroads, of the dozens of immeasurable economic benefits of having a large model railroad, of what a tremendous act of enlightened charity Mr. Bennett was performing by bringing us the world's largest model railroad and of how, by God, the world's largest model railroad would put us on the map, and we would no longer have to feel inadequate or inferior to all those other cities with large model railroads.

And it would be our manifest destiny, of course, to spend tax dollars building the home for this model railroad.

Just sayin'. But was I wise to say that, or just mucking around in petty and sordid local politics?)

If a whole month goes by without me posting anything on this blog, you'll know I've finally gotten wisdom.

Or I'm in a coma.

No comments: