Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Wisdom, one year later

It was about this time a year ago I was wondering about wisdom.

I don't have much more of it now than I did 50-odd weeks ago.

A year ago, Blogblah! raised the question, "What is wisdom?" I didn't have much of an answer then, and I don't have much of one now.

As I said a year ago, if I had wisdom, I would probably not have the perceived need or desire to be writing about my life on a blog. The rough edges of my life and personality would have been rounded off. I would be quieter, less talkative (yes, I know I'm not very talkative as it is – even so, I talk more than I need to).

If I had wisdom, I think I would be more or less invisible to other people. The contact I have with others would be more driven by compassion and a desire to help, and less by the need to have attention and be validated by others.

I would be more at peace with others and with myself.

I think I would rather have wisdom than anything else.

And yet:

Isn't wisdom just another thing to crave? Another thing to covet and grasp for? Am I not functional the way I am? Am I not sufficient the way I am - eating when I'm hungry, sleeping when I'm tired - even with all the fretting and worrying and sarcasm and cynicism that occurs along the way?

I don't want to think about it anymore - at least for awhile.

No comments: