Sunday, May 21, 2006

A few technical notes

I don't know when it changed, but iTunes (at least on the Mac) can now simulcast to multiple IP addresses. If you have more than one Airport Express node on your WiFi network, you can stream via AirTunes to one or all of them, and have music playing in your den, living room, and bedroom simultaneously. Even your bathroom, if you have enough electrical outlets.

I also found this nifty shareware doodad called Remote Remote which allows the user to control iTunes on another computer from whichever one he's at. Some of you know I run iTunes on a headless 733 Quicksilver G4 that doesn't do anything but play music. I can do simple commands from my 'main' Mac without having to open up Chicken of the VNC, which used to be my preferred method for managing iTunes.

It also displayes the name of the current iTunes track, so I can tell you that right now I'm listening to 'Moonlight on the Mountain' performed by Richard Warner on the 'Quiet Heart & Spirit Wind' CD.

No comments: