Monday, May 29, 2006

Out late last night

Well, out late for me.

I'd planned to wander through the Paseo Arts Festival again Sunday evening. Got as far as Galileo, where the usual suspects were on the patio. Ate pizza, drank iced tea.

I joined the artists' association this year (even though the last hangable art I completed was in 1970-something) so I went to the little afterward party with soartstar, who reminded me of the crow's maxim to Fritz: 'If you in a bag, you gotta bug out.'

The last time I heard that expression was probably within a year or two of when I completed my last piece of hangable art.

I never saw the Ralph Bakshi movie. I only read the original R. Crumb comic. I don't remember how many Fritz stories he did before he killed the character off with an ice pick, but I remember that Fritz the Cat Bugs Out was by far the best. It probably owed a lot to 'On the Road,' which I had not yet read. 'Fritz Bugs Out' was a big deal for me at the time. I probably still have it somewhere, but I haven't seen it in decades.

Back in the present, soartstar and I wandered down to the other end of the Paseo in time to hear 'Whole Lotta Love' at the end of Pinkie and the Snakeshakers' show, then upstairs at the Blue Moon for the Fat Sow Trio. They did a cover of 'Go and Say Goodbye,' which is my favorite Buffalo Springfield song, and one which is rarely played even on album rock/oldies stations and which I have never heard covered by anyone, anywhere.

So I spent a lot of the evening in a kind of time warp. Now it's morning, I have the faintest touch of a hangover plus a little bit of contact overload. I should skip this morning's coffee shop session in favor of meditation, but I'm going to the coffee shop anyway. I'm working a trailer at the arts festival as a volunteer this afternoon (1 p.m.! It'll be like an oven!) so there's more contact overload ahead.

on iTunes: Wintry Wind, Riley Lee.

No comments: