Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Buddhist podcasts

I have so many dharma talks and similar items on my computer now that I'll never be able to listen to them all. I've thought about getting an iPod just to have a way to play them all while at work or sitting around at the Red Cup. But I am resistant to spending money on yet another consumer gadget.

I started with the Alan Watts talks John X tipped me to a couple of weeks ago. I had read many of his books, of course, but hearing his voice was fascinating... just a very relaxing, yet engaging speaking style. People don't talk like that anymore - not in the Rush/Chris Matthews/Bill O'Reilly era. Which is too bad.

Although Watts was not a recognized Zen master, there are many people with proper 'Buddhist cred' whose work is available on the net. Several schools are represented. The podcast section of the iTunes Music Store has a wide selection (of course, you have to have Apple's iTunes to get them; it's free and there's a version for Windows)

Tricycle Magazine
also has a free MP3 collection.

2 comments:

Nina said...

Where are the Watts talks again?




fuiwjah

mcarp said...

I can't find the link. I'm looking for it, though.

xvrxum