Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sunday PM

I decided to distract myself for awhile by making a trip to the bookstore this evening.

Bought a design magazine and something else -- I don't even remember what. It's still in the bag.

But while I was standing around the cash register, I got to pondering all the knickknacks displayed up in the point-of-purchase zone. What would I do with all this stuff? Why would I want it? Do I not have enough of this stuff already?

No, not enough –– too much.

Nothing is real. We're buying illusions. Stockpiling illusions. Collecting the whole series of illusions. We could all be sitting around in dashikis and kimonos wearing sandals or old sneakers, owning no Skechers, no Tommy Hilfiger, no Magnetic Poetry and no Subzero refrigerators on which to stick it, and we'd be the same people. Or illusions of people.

I am tired of material stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the biggest illusion in the world: A FREE plane ticket. There is no such thing. I just gave my little brother the last of my frequent flyer miles. He was thrilled!.....until about an hour ago when he called me and reported he was down $2,000.00 at the blackjack table in Vegas. That is an expensive plane ticket.

Other things are the same way. All the little knicknacks at Barnes and Noble cost more than the $4.95 price tag. You gotta move it, protect it, insure it, dust it, worry about it.

Material things zap my energy. I want to be a spirit floating in the bosom of god. Until then, I have to navigate my way through a bunch of crap that weighs me down. Life. The End.

Anonymous said...

If you decide to give away that whizbang laptop on which you posted about how you hate materials things, can I have it?

blogblah!!!

mcarp said...

The laptop is just an illusion, neither laptop nor not-laptop.

ljnxfxh