Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I think JohnX is on to something

He posted a question here several days ago: 'Are you attached to non-attachment?' and I quickly replied that I wasn't.

But I had a flash overnight: the concept of non-attachment is sort of like a sanctuary or shelter for me. Since it has an attraction for me, maybe I really am attached to it.

I realized that part of the reason I had become so interested in the subject is that it seems to offer an escape from a lot of the disappointments and shortcomings in my life. Or, to look at it less charitably, it offers a rationalization for why I am where I am in my life.

Or to put it yet another way, it may be just a more abstract and philosophical version of the fox and the sour grapes –– my life is a bust, but it doesn't matter because I'm practicing non-attachment, anyway. I'm not a fuck-up... I'm profoundly spiritual.

I'm not sure I'm on the right track here –– maybe I had it right before, and now I'm overthinking it.

But if I really am seeing non-attachment as a sort of sanctuary or protection, then I'm seeing it as a thing or concept, in which case, yeah, I'm attached to it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is more fun when we allow ourselves to use our own definitions of words like "success" and "failure" and "happiness."

I'd hate to think guys like Donald Trump or George Bush would be the arbiters of the value of my existence, or what joy I'm getting from it.

On the other hand, maybe accepting definitions of those words from people at another point on the spectrum might prove enlightening...

If I had the courage, I might ask a woman from Darfur if she thought I had a good life or not. I might ask her if she'd rather be in her position, or mine. If any of her family was still alive, maybe I'd ask them, too.

Of course it would be an impertinant question to ask such people, but maybe they'd understand I was just trying to check my navigation...plot my position on the Map To Happiness.

I think we can guess how she'd answer my question.

So I've decided I'm happy, and a success.

Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no idea how the woman from Darfur would answer your question. What do you think the she would say?

Anonymous said...

I think she would say:

"If you weren't raped today, or if you didn't watch your husband shot to death in front of you, or watch your daughter dragged off into a hut by five men, then you're having a good life."