Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Day Two

First thing: I'm still sick. Now there's muscle and joint aches, especially in my legs.

Second thing: I'm hooked, as they say in buddhist circles, meaning I'm craving something or a number of things I don't have, and that's the source of my unhappiness. I know what a couple of them are (genetically-engineered shitless cats, for example), but there are probably others I haven't even thought of.

Nina posted this proverb on her blog:

If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap.
If you want happiness for a day, go fishing.
If you want happiness for a month, get married.
If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime, help others.


But I think in this context, even a lifetime of helping others can be a way to distract oneself from one's own suffering.

What is the state of your mind when you're doing nothing at all? What is the state of your mind when you're sitting absolutely still, with no music, no television, no books to hold your attention? Are you happy then?

I find that lately I plan my day around two events: lunch, and going back to bed after I get off work. Sometimes I'm under the blankets by 6:30.

3 comments:

Nina said...

I’d give my right elbow for a genetically-engineered shitless cat. One of mine has decided he would prefer to shit in front of my toilet instead of the litter box.

I am so NOT happy.


rjpvki

Lark said...

Outdoor cats, I'm telling you, that IS the answer. Of course then you have to live someplace where it doesn't get too cold in the winter, and there's not too much traffic, and no coyotes.

I'll let you know next time a house on my street is for sale.

nhdgs

Anonymous said...

What is the sound of one cat not shitting?

Some sort of constipated moan, I'd wager...