Saturday, December 23, 2006

Something to try

In his book "The Miracle of Mindfulness," zen monk Thich Nhat Hanh
recommends some meditation exercises. In one of them, the meditator
sits in a public or semiprivate location. He watches other people, but
as he does so, he makes the effort to see each person, man or woman,
every race, as himself: "That's me."

The point of this meditation is to instill or reinforce the notion of
non-duality... ie, that we are not separate beings but a single unified
entity.

"That's me."

"That's me."

"That's me."

You are that person, whoever it is, just as that person is you. In fact, you can do this with any living thing: your dog, your cat, the mice hiding in your cabinets. All one thing.

I've tried this, and I can tell you it gave me a very strong sensation that was both positive and yet mildly discomforting.

Try it with a stranger, with someone you like, and with someone you dislike. They're all you, and you're all of them.









I hope I don't decide to invade Iran.

No comments: