Saturday, December 17, 2011

Do I believe this is true? I don't know.

Here's an msnbc.com article whose contents somewhat surprised me:

The Hotter the Woman, the Better Men Think Chances Are

The more attractive the woman was to the guy, the more likely he was to overestimate her interest in him, researchers found. And it turns out, the less attractive men (who believed they were better looking than the women rated them) were more likely to think beautiful women were hot for them. But the more attractive guys tended to have a more realistic assessment.

This certainly runs counter to my own thinking. I have always assumed that the more conventionally 'hot' a woman is, the less likely it is she will find me attractive. Even so, I've fooled myself a few times, and ended up making a play for a woman who wasn't the least bit attracted to me.

I'm trying to think of an occasion in which some other basically average-looking guy I knew was persuaded some extremely attractive woman was interested in him. I can't think of any.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

:::I'm trying to think of an occasion in which some other basically average-looking guy I knew was persuaded some extremely attractive woman was interested in him. I can't think of any.:::

And now, every woman reading this (who thinks of herself as extremely attractive) will tell you about the numerous occasions when average-looking guys (falsely) persuaded themselves they (the guys) were interesting to them (the women.)

A city can be built on a real hill, but stupid belief systems are built on hills composed of bullshit.

mcarp said...

There have been a couple of times in my life when I've pursued a woman who was clearly 'out of my league.'

In one case she had told me flat out she was interested, even though she actually wasn't. In the other case, she told me she had once been interested, and I thought I could revive that interest.

But generally speaking, if I'm immediately and strongly attracted to a woman, she's never going to know it.

Anonymous said...

All women are out of my league. Some don't know it yet.

bloglah

Anonymous said...

Men think they are better looking than they are and woman underrate themselves according to research I didn't do. This is probably a species survival strategy. If most decision are made unconsciously and about 90% of communication is non-verbal and sexual attraction is hormone and olfactory driven then what makes any man think his surface appearance is much of a factor ?Especially since he is over rating that variable. Guys, it's money and pheromones. You are not even the right age cohort to get laid. They are all out of your league. Throw in neurotic unconscious needs and you are NOT in control. You never have been and never will be. Stop obsessing and go out and lie on your back with a hard on in front of a singles bar at closing time and some poor dame will fall on your penis and fuck you. That's the story so many wives hear, it must be true and it's working for a bunch of lying sorry sacks of married shit all over the world. Bon voyage,
Soartstar

Anonymous said...

I have to say that is probably the best post I have read in a very, very,very long time. Great summation and right on the money! Why aren't you president, Ms. Soartstar??

Rena