Wednesday, December 07, 2011

No, I don't want to date!

From mindovermary's comment in a previous post:

Arggg! Whatever. MCARP, do you WANT to date? I think that is the question.

NO, I don't want to date! Does anybody?!

What I want is to meet someone – at the coffee shop, at a party, somewhere – and hit it off right away. She's very smart and brainy, cute but not glamorous or breathtakingly beautiful, a little eccentric, a little kinky, likes peace and quiet, eastern philosophy, etc. Likes me but isn't suffocatingly devoted to me. Doesn't want to make me over. Isn't offput by my clothes or my Dan Blocker-like physique. That's what I want. I've made some friends that way, but nothing else.

I guess it has worked that way for some people, but not for me. So, I'm back to 'dating', which I consider a piss-poor marketing-driven substitute for my preferred course.

1 comment:

Minovermary said...

I get it. I would love to open my front door and have a guy standing there who is funny, smart, interesting, kind, compassionate, and giving off chemistry that drives me wild,but who doesn't want to suffocate or own me. I would even settle for a chance meeting at the grocery store, where our eyes meet and we instantly know we are meant to be together.
I would love that. Someone who agrees that we should never live together, but who is loyal to the end.
I think that can happen. It just hasn't yet. I'm willing to wait.

Mindovermary