Wednesday, December 07, 2011

The Hamster Wheel

I had dinner with Blogblah! last night (chicken fried steak at Beverly's), and I was trying to explain to him my approach to dating and romance. I hit upon this analogy:

When I meet someone in whom I'm interested, I jump into my hamster wheel. And then I run and run and run and run and run, 'round and 'round, going nowhere, accomplishing nothing but wearing myself out.

Then, when I'm exhausted, I fall out of the wheel and slump to the floor, gasping for breath. And that's the end of it for awhile.

That's pretty much what that whole online dating experience was about.

2 comments:

mcarp said...

And what I actually said over dinner was 'squirrel cage', but 'hamster wheel' is what I meant. Some people call me the space cowboy, some people call me the hamster of love.

Anonymous said...

I realize that, in the nature of things, it is a radical impossibility, but I do so wish the women you date/meet could experience the relaxed, smart, funny, insightful man I've shared meals with. MCARP, you said it first, but you are the brother I always wished I had. Yes, I feel that close.
blogblah