Sunday, December 04, 2011

When I was saner

Just a year and a half ago, my life was much saner than it is now. I was holed up most of the day in my back bedroom, reading Zen poetry while incense burned on a meditation altar.

Ms. HRP had left town and disappeared out of my life.

I was still wistfully remembering Ms. Willowy and Ethereal from time to time, but I wasn't obsessing about dating web site profiles and who answered or didn't answer my winks, bleeps and blips.

I had briefly transcended lust and craving and neediness.

I wish I could rewind to that point, but of course, I can't. There's no going backward, only forward.

The past week's worth of postings reads in large part like the rantings of a disturbed, dysfunctional person. If this OKCupid stuff can evoke this much angst and despair in me, maybe that in itself is sufficient evidence that I ought to stay away from it.

It seems like I was on a much steadier footing when I focused on Zen and Taoism, and left love and romance to the people who know what they're doing.

2 comments:

Nina said...

I doubt anyone really knows what they're doing.

mcarp said...

I agree. But other people seem to be better at not knowing what they're doing than me.