Monday, September 22, 2008

Another exercise in non-attachment

Every day there are people suffering worse setbacks than losing their two favorite cats. Some of those people probably live in my neighborhood. I could have much worse problems myself, and I do remind myself to be grateful that my life is so calm and unruffled.

Everything is impermanent, as I've written here a dozen times. All any of us actually has is the exact moment in which we live. Everything else - memories of the past and expectations of the future - are just tiny electrical impulses zipping around in our heads. Even the concept of 'we' - or 'I' - is something of an illusion, as is the concept of a pet or a loved one being some sort of distinct separate entity.

The planets move around the stars, the galaxies spin and sail through the night.

The wheel turns.

2 comments:

Nina said...

Why is it that knowing all is impermenent still feels like a shock or emotional jolt when faced with a sudden loss?

Meshing the two, the mind and emotion, isn't so easy sometimes.



xqjddvo

Anonymous said...

Clearly everybody deals with loss and disappointment. Sometimes I think we all have the same feelings, they just come attached to different events.