Thursday, September 18, 2008

More 'fun-loving'ness

I worked for a couple of years for a 'fun-loving' boss. She came aboard as a replacement for her predecessor. The way she would interview prospective new hires was to take them to a local bar. If they drank as much as she did, they got the job.

By the end of the second year, about a fourth of the office staff was 'fun-loving,' and the rest of us were warned we needed to take up the slack when they were too hung over (or sometimes, too drunk at 9 am) to work, and that the subject of rising alcoholism on the staff was off-limits.

Again, all this 'fun loving' couldn't go on without a bunch of other people available to carry the weight for them - and then be criticized for not being 'fun-loving' enough themselves.

1 comment:

Nina said...

I wish I could have a touch of fun-lovingness on the job!

I am plagued by some twisted sense of obligation.

Amazing to me that others have so little and won't pull their own weight.


wwjgelc