Sunday, September 07, 2008

The post-Beasley era

As I mentioned in the preceding post, Beasley was sort of my alter ego. He was fat and lethargic and content to spend the day snoozing in one spot. Of course, that's easier if someone else is making sure you're fed and cared for, but nonetheless Beasley was an inspiration to me. I learned to let go of a lot of stuff by watching Beasley's example of non-attachment.

When I left television, and even more so when I came home from Texas, I knew I had done everything I was 'supposed' to do with my life and that whatever else came along was optional. I didn't care what society or my friends thought of me. The only obligation I felt was to Beasley and Smudge — and now there's just Smudge. There are also the various hang-around cats, too, of course, but I always thought of Beasley, Smudge and later Prajna as family. The others were pets.

Smudge has been with me almost as long as Beasley. She might even be a month or two older than him. But having Smudge without Beasley is sort of like Abbott without Costello. Beasley was the one with all the personality. Smudge is just an old grump who sort of likes me and hates everyone else, cat and human alike. Beasley would come wake me up at sunrise, but Smudge couldn't care less.

I always knew that when Beasley was gone it would mark some sort of turning point in my life. I'm not sure what will change, but it will be different from now on.

No comments: